Are you or a family member nonverbal or do you or a family member have a speech impairment (speech is unintelligible)? Through our Gift a Voice Project we gift to those in need an iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad.
- The individual you are applying for must reside in the United States of America.
- They must be speech impaired (speech unintelligible), minimally verbal or non-verbal as identified in a speech pathology report (Language impairment does not qualify).
- They must be in financial need. Please only apply for assistance if there is a true financial need.
- There is no age limit.
- You must agree to donate the device (and accessories) back to the Foundation if it does not help the individual communicate.
- Completing an application and submitting a speech pathologist report DOES NOT ensure you will be approved. The Board of Directors reviews applications and speech reports to ensure our requirements are met and we stay true to the mission.
- The Board of Directors decision is Final.
Families who live in Nevada will receive priority.
To date we have gifted to TWELVE recipients. We will gift to our thirteenth as soon as enough funds have been received via donations, fundraisers or through cell phone recycling drives! We currently have 20 applicants.
**Nevada state residents receive priority and we are only gifting donated iPhones and iPod Touches at this time***Go here to complete a Gift a Voice Application. We strongly encourage you to visit the list of other organizations assisting in this area – especially Loud Mommy and a4cwsn. These two have created a niche, very supportive community and are actively gifting iPads.
Different iz Good and the Turning Views Foundation accepts ALL inactive/used cell phones, smart phones and especially iPhones (and iPod Touches). The Foundation will use the iPhones, iPods and iPads for our Gift a Voice Project. All others are traded in towards usable devices.
Host a Cell Phones for Voices Donation Drive – It’s easy and no cost to you or your organization!
If you are local to Reno, Nevada you can drop off your devices at Mac-O-Rama, 4690 Longley Lane, Reno or Disability Resources/New2U Computers, 50 E. Greg St in Sparks or March of Dimes, 1000 Bible Way, Suite 43, Reno.
Be sure to include your name and email address so we may acknowledge your donation on the Different iz Good website and Different iz Good Facebook Page and email you a receipt.
You can read media coverage about the Foundation’s Gift a Voice Project at “Something to Talk About” in Reno News & Review and at “The Gift of a Voice” in the Sparks Tribune. You can watch media coverage about the Foundation in the “Women’s Business Network Helps Nonprofit” story on KOLO 8 TV News Now.
We also need your help in spreading the word as we have more people who need assistance than we can serve. Visit the Get Involved page on our website and our Wish List. We seriously need cash donations and Apple/iTunes gift cards; but we also have items on our wish list that don’t cost anything but a few minutes of your time.
Video Demonstrating a speech impaired child, Lillian Darnell, using an iPhone with Proloquo2Go -
Video NOT Using iPhone -